May 4-6, 2018
Tara’s annual Spring Birding Weekend offers excellent opportunities to view nature’s spring migration of song birds and more in the Mississippi Flyway.
The Spring Weekend activities combine both casual birding opportunities along with organized birding tours led by seasoned birders. Tara is adjacent to the Mississippi River, providing a beautiful landscape for bird watching.
- Experience our Open Air Bus Tours displaying Tara’s scenic biodiversity and remarkable animal life. Tours are led by outdoor enthusiast Bruce Reid.
- Explore the nearby woodlands or visit the adjoining wetland areas surrounding our new Nature Trail, and view waterfowl, wading birds and its pristine habitat; a photographers delight.
- Bring your mountain bike and spend some time cycling through miles of Tara’s backwoods and trails.
Wonder what the Spring Birding Weekend is like? Read a personal account from one of our attendees to the 2017 Spring Birding Weekend.
Call now to reserve your spot! 601-279-4261 or register online.
- $25 for adults, $10 for kids 12 and under
- Meals available with advanced notice. Advance reservations required for meals.
- Breakfast: $12, Lunch $15, Dinner $18, Socials $19 plus 7% sales tax. Call us at 601-279-4261 to discuss.
ONE NIGHT PACKAGE
- $140 Double occupancy, $100 single occupancy
- Event fees: $25/person, $10/children 12 and under
- Includes single night accommodations. Meals are sold a la carte. Advance reservations required.
- $255 Double occupancy, $315 single occupancy
- Children 12 and under, add $40
- Overnight Lodging Friday and Saturday Evenings
- Meals Friday Evening, Saturday (3), Sunday Morning
- Social/Reception Each Evening.
- All Event fees
- Snacks, Drinks throughout the day.
- All Birding Tours and Outdoor Programs
Open Air Birding Bus
Ride through the property on our open air bird watching and wildlife viewing bus and sit back while your tour guides point out seasonal roosting locations and spot birds. Guided tours are available to groups upon request. Let us know when you schedule your lodge stay and we’ll book the tour for you. Download the Tara Wildlife birding list (PDF).
Eight miles of Tara lie along the Mississippi River, providing seasonal nesting and roosting areas for an abundance of wildlife. The Tara and Halpino properties seasonally host a variety of waterfowl, wading, and shore birds during migration including wood storks, and roseate spoonbills.
Bird Species at Tara
Some of the birds you can find at Tara include
- Wood Stork
- Roseate Spoonbill
- Great Egret
- Prothonotary Warbler
- Painted Bunting
- Indigo Bunting
- Ruby-throated Hummingbird
- Bald Eagle
- Barred Owl
- Great Horned Owl
- Wintering waterfowl
- Wading and shore birds
Want to know what birds we’ve been seeing lately? View a checklist of the birds seen in the spring and summer at Tara in the last 3 years.
Online Birding Resources and Tips
Just starting out bird watching? Read our tips on equipment and suggested resources for beginning birders.