Call us at 601-279-4261

Required Hunting Licenses and Permits for Tara Wildlife

As hunters prepare for their visit to Tara, one of the most frequent questions we get from them is, “What license do I need for Tara?”

Out of State Hunters

If you plan to hunt at Tara and/or Halpino, there are three permits and one or two licenses that you will need to obtain.

If you are a non-Mississippi resident, you will need

  • a valid non-resident 7-Day All Game Hunting License from Mississippi
  • a valid Archery/Primitive Weapon/Crossbow Permit
  • a valid Deer Permit

Mississippi Resident Hunters

Hunters that reside in Mississippi can hunt Tara or Halpino with either a

  • Sportsman’s License


  • Both an All Game Hunting/Freshwater Fishing License and an Archery/Primitive Weapon/Crossbow License

Note: If you were born on or after January 1, 1972, you cannot obtain a valid hunting license without having state Hunter Education Certification.

Exceptions and Options 

Youth Hunters

Youth hunters are not required to have valid hunter’s license until they reach the age of 16. They are eligible to take the Mississippi Hunter Education Certification test if they are 10 years old at the date of their test.

Hunters Over 65

Any person 65 or older is not required to obtain a hunting license, but must have their Driver’s License or copy of their birth certificate on them to prove their age.

Mississippi Lifetime License

Any person living in Mississippi for at least 18 months is eligible to purchase a Resident Lifetime License.

Other Exceptions

Other exceptions and options are available. Visit the MDWFP website for more information:

Where to Obtain A Hunting License

Get it Online

You can now obtain your Mississippi Hunting Licenses online. Visit the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) web page for this purpose. You will need a valid Driver’s License, your Hunter’s Education Number (if you were born on or after Jan. 1, 1972) and your credit or debit card.

Get it By Phone

Call MDWFP at (800) 546-4868 to purchase the necessary license and permits.

Buy it Locally

There are many state-approved vendors that sell Hunting Licenses, such as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, and other sporting good stores. Call ahead first to make sure the location in your area does sell hunting licenses.

Hunting License Prices

Find out the price of each license by visiting the MDWFP page on Hunting Licenses and Permits,

Comments are closed.

© 2018 Tara Wildlife. All rights reserved. Design by Kathy Jacobs Design & Marketing, LLC