Tara’s annual Spring Birding Weekend offers excellent opportunities to view the spring migration of song birds and more in the Mississippi Flyway. The Spring Weekend activities combine both casual birding opportunities along with organized birding tours led by seasoned birders. Evening social events and activities are included for overnight guests. Lodging is available onsite.
View the spring migration of songbirds in the Mississippi Flyway at Tara
- Experience our Open Air Bus Tours displaying Tara’s scenic biodiversity and remarkable animal life.
- Explore the nearby woodlands or visit the adjoining wetland areas surrounding our new Nature Trail, and view waterfowl, wading birds and its pristine habitat; a Photographers delight.
- Bring your mountain bike and spend some time cycling through miles of Tara’s backwoods and trails.
- $25 for adults, $10 for kids 12 and under
- Meals available with advanced notice. Call us at 601-279-4261 to discuss.
- Breakfast is $12, Lunch $15, Dinner $18, and socials $10 (plus sales tax)
- $140 Double occupancy, $100 single occupancy
- Meals sold a la cart
- Advanced reservations required
- Event Fees: $25/person, $10/children 12 and under
- $255 Double p/p, $315 single p/p
- Add $40 for each child (under 12)
- Overnight lodging Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Meals Friday evening, Saturday (3), Sunday morning
- Social/Reception each evening
- All event fees
- Snacks and drinks throughout the day.
- All Birding Tours and Outdoor Programs
|FRIDAY, APRIL 28|
|3 – 5 pm||Check-in at Tara Lodge and casual Birding|
|5 – 6:30 pm||Social|
|Sunset||Evening program (TBD)|
|SATURDAY, APRIL 29|
|6:30 - 8 am||Breakfast|
|8:30 am||Organized Birding with Bruce Reid, birding enthusiast. Self-guided hiking, canoeing, biking.|
|10:00 a.m.||Fishing by cane pole instruction (for kids)|
|Noon||Lunch at Tara Lodge|
|Afternoon||Kite flying at the Tara air strip, bike riding, kayaking|
|2:00 pm||Woodlands tour and birding|
|SUNDAY, APRIL 30|
|8:30 am||Birding in Tara Woodlands|
Open Air Birding Bus
Ride through the property on our open air bird watching and wildlife viewing bus and sit back while your tour guides point out seasonal roosting locations and spot birds. Guided tours are available to groups upon request. Let us know when you schedule your lodge stay and we’ll book the tour for you. Download the Tara Wildlife birding list (PDF).
Eight miles of Tara lie along the Mississippi River, providing seasonal nesting and roosting areas for an abundance of wildlife. The Tara and Halpino properties seasonally host a variety of waterfowl, wading, and shore birds during migration including wood storks, and roseate spoonbills.
Bird Species at Tara
Some of the birds you can find at Tara include
- Wood Stork
- Roseate Spoonbill
- Great Egret
- Prothonotary Warbler
- Painted Bunting
- Indigo Bunting
- Ruby-throated Hummingbird
- Bald Eagle
- Barred Owl
- Great Horned Owl
- Wintering waterfowl
- Wading and shore birds
Want to know what birds we’ve been seeing lately? View a checklist of the birds seen in the spring and summer at Tara in the last 3 years.
Birding Resources and Tips
- Read our article about our favorite online resources for bird identification and beginning birder tips.
- Just starting out bird watching? Read our tips on equipment and suggested resources for beginning birders.
- Our latest article about migrating birds, “The Spring Migration of Birds“